Thursday, February 10, 2011

"I'm not gonna snatch you from your mother. I'm an art lover."

Google street view -A modern woman's way to channel her inner Alfred Hitchcock. Sorry girls, but Grace Kelly was the one inside the building. Most of you have probably played around with Google Street View before; you traveled to Paris in your pyjamas, visited the Leaning Tower of Pisa while eating pizza, and maybe followed an ice cream truck from one town to another. While that was good fun, Google decided that they should class it up a bit and move into art museums. That's right. They 'classed-it-up-a-bit'.
Oh.... they have a new site called Google Art Project. This site allows you to not only view famous works of art from around the world, but it also lets you walk around famous museums and palaces (Yes, I literally walk. I get dressed up, sit on a really high chair, and kick my legs like I am walking. It just feels better).  My favorite place to tour is the Palace of Versailles. I felt so sneaky when I first tried it. The palace was completely empty and I felt like I was really there. I felt like I was shoplifting (not that I ever have). But instead of an urge to steal something, I had a really cheeky compulsion to sit on a stool in the Hall Of Mirrors (puns gratefully acknowledged). This application is a really great way to escape your boring surroundings and gather inspiration. I think I am going to leave the Versailles page up for a few days and awake in Marie Antoinette's bedroom. Then I will follow a series of daily tasks involving oatmeal. But that is between me and Google.

Love the camera guy.


I found it both funny and scary that the first thing I thought about being alone in the Rijksmuseum was"Ooh, free souvenir coasters" ;)

Try it out for yourself: http://www.googleartproject.com/ 
and let me know what museum, palace, piece of art, or toilet is your favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment