Monday, February 21, 2011

Couch Surfing

I want to travel the world more than anything. Ever since I was a little girl, I've been drawn in by exotic fabrics at markets. I would drape myself in them (if the market person allowed it) and would imagine I was visiting America from a far away land. It stopped being cute when I was about fourteen, but by that time I had already started to make plans. My closet is filled with notebooks full of collages and lists of the places I will travel. I want to start my traveling after I finish high school, and plan on attending college after a good amount of traveling (that is, unless I find a job as a travel writer :D).

Now here is the thing: I am not a rich girl. I don't have a job at the moment (nor have I any preceding moments). I plan on getting a job and earning some money for plane tickets and food in the meantime (read: summer time), but it seems that accommodation might be cheaper than expected.  I found out about this website called www.couchsurfing.org a couple of years ago on the Tyra Show. It is essentially a non-profit website that connects people from all over the globe so they can arrange to host "couch surfers" or be couch surfers. I'm a hippie at heart and this kind of thing has always appealed to me. I love the idea of meeting new people from around the world and hopefully making some lifelong friendships. And to be honest, I am relieved to know that youth hostels and expensive hotels aren't my only options.

But like many, (especially being a young female single-traveler) I am quite petrified at the thought of staying in a stranger's house. Couch Surfers has a feedback system for every user, sure. But oh how I want to travel! I travel like I jog: I smile at strangers, but carry a phone in one hand and a large rock in the other. That is why I am going to try to find an equally travel-hungry (I just invented a new ugly sounding word haha) person to couch surf with me. I think that would make for a safer and more enjoyable trip.

So, couch surfers and non-couch surfers, I have a question: Where are your dream travel destinations?


Here are some of mine:


1. Kruger National Park, Zimbabwe

I will have to really save up for this one. I first read about it in Madison Magazine Australia when I was 13. It sounds wonderful, but it is very expensive.







 2. Palawan, Philippines
Isn't that water so beautiful?
I will try to go dugong diving if I can! :)


There is a safari park in Palawan called "A Taste Of Africa". The animals are imported from Africa and the grass is imported from Australia. I heard that the animals are treated and fed very well.


 3. Ubud, Bali
Bali is a very popular tourist destination for Australians, because is beautiful and so close in proximity.
These are traditional Balinese dancers. Their costumes and headdresses are mesmerizing. So is the dance, but I wasn't able to embed it from youtube. If you want to see it, click here.

 4.  Newfoundland


5. Santorini, Greece


6. Capri


I want to swim in this grotto :)
7. Gibraltar

Raaarrrww!
I see Spain...


8.  Provence, France




 9.  Kalash, Pakistan- I have wanted to visit Kalash for about a year now. I will probably save this destination for last, because the commute involves traveling through the Hindu Kush mountain range. I don't know if it is dangerous territory (Pakistan) for a Western woman to travel alone. Probably. I will find a tour group for this one. I have researched their culture and their language a lot, and would love it if I could organize a group trip with my school.

Hindu Kush mountain range
Kalash village. The Kalasha people are separated into two tribes by the mountain range.

The Kalash people are actually said to be descendants from Alexander the Great's army. They are the last remaining non-Islamic group in Pakistan, although some have converted by the forced conversions in the 1970's and a need for jobs in more populated areas of Pakistan. Male and female Muslim converts still live in the village with their families and friends. I hope that their ancient culture will be preserved for future generations.
Kalash girls dancing at the Joshi spring festival. Photo courtesy of LIFE magazine.










 If you wish to learn more about Kalash, please visit these websites:

http://kalashapeople.org/

http://kalashapeople.org/kalasha_dictionary/lexicon/main.htm




Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. def. ITALY... i can't wait to go back :)

    but i love that the Philippines is on your list... it's where my Mom's from and where i started school.

    ps. so nice to meet you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michaela. Its nice to meet you too! :)
    How was Italy? My mom is from Italy and we might be going this summer.

    That's very cool. I've always wanted to visit the Philippines. It looks like a paradise :)

    ReplyDelete